Tuesday, July 31, 2007

In which I rant (slightly irrationally) about The Trade.

I thought this picture was fitting for a few different reasons. Read on to see if you can figure them out.
Last evening I was completely out of communication from anyone who wasn’t at my friend Ryan’s “Congratulation on your new house closing” party. There was no television, no telephone and I had my cell turned off. I sure paid for that this morning when I awoke with a slight hangover headache (damn Tanqueray and orange juice) and extremely tired.

Now, let me set a scene for you…
I was sitting on my bus, shades on, coffee in hand, Yoko Ono playing in my ear (see below for an explanation) and dozing on and off. It was around 17th and Chicago Ave when I roused myself to look at the KSTP News Bulletin billboard to catch up on any breaking news. There it was, in big bright lights “Castillo Traded to Mets.” What the fuck? I didn’t even hear a hint of that news. I was flustered when I dug my cell phone out of my purse. I kept elbowing the guy next to me trying to balance my coffee, music player, purse and cell phone. I called Amy at home since it was only 7:00 a.m. and I didn’t know if she had left yet. No answer. I called Amy on her cell phone thinking she wouldn’t have it turn on. Eureka! She answered. I didn’t even attempt for a casual morning greeting “Did you know Castillo got traded to the Mets?” (At 7:00 a.m. I cease using good grammar.) I was saddened to hear that she had heard that already and she had called me last night to leave me a message about it. Damn drinking! It ruins everything! So, this morning whilst I peruse all the sports pages I get angrier and angrier. We traded him for what? Son of a… Of all the stupid… Jeez… Okay, so yes, I am mad. Yes, I may be a tinge irrational. Yes, I may have threatened to alter my giant foam finger so I can flip Pohlad off. Yes, I will calm down and look at this rationally. Oh and by the way, I am blaming Pohlad for this trade (and for smacking my elbow on the corner of my desk when I was in a heated debate with Geoff.)

What a crap way to start the day.

Random Yoko Ono-ness: A friend of mine has a sister that works for Astralwerks label out of New York. Every quarter she sends a music package to Eric and I. We just got a box yesterday and it included two Yoko Ono CDs. (We think the sister put them in there since Yoko thanks her in the liner notes.) Eric didn’t want a thing to do with them so I took them home with me. Now if only I can get his grubby hands off the Chemical Brothers and A Band of Bees.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know what you effin mean, Sister! Same thing happened to me - cept double dosed due to the KG shiznit. The only thing that is keeping my head out of the oven now is at least THAT one isn't totally official... Heaven help us all.

Curveball said...

Remembering back to the news that A.J. was traded, so we could play Mauer. And Dougie M. went to the Red Sox so we could play Morneau. The HAPPY way to look at Little Luis leaving is that we get to play Alexi, who is the future (fingers crossed). That and Uncle Carl getting to stuff a couple mill back into his wallet, which doesn't always make for a brighter day.

Anonymous said...

I'd say I'm sorry, but I'm not. Second base was HURTING.

But I am sorry on another level. My condolences.

Baseball_Lipgloss said...

Thanks Metsgrrl!
You are getting a real gem with Luis Castillo. He is a fun guy to watch hobble around the field like an old man and yet run full speed to base.