Thursday, May 8, 2008

Falling slowly, eyes that know me/And I can’t go back/Moods that take me and erase me/And I’m painted black

Twins 13, White Sox 1
Go figure, fantastic game and instead of watching it I am drinking at a concert. Such is my life. Since I didn’t observe the game I will bullet point a few things:

* Looks like Slowey is coming back. Here’s to hoping I get to see him pitch one game live. I am just saying.
* Livan has a 5-1 record. That’s pretty damn amazing/necessary/cool.
* Punto had five RBIs. That’s pretty damn amazing/shocking/awe-inspiring.
* Buehrle was mad/pissed/tantrum-y
* Glen Perkins is being brought up to start this weekend

Extra! Extra!
Guess what’s on the front page of Sportsillustrated.com?
Twins Ride Rare Cycle
Now-healthy Slowey returns
Sox players go pink for Mother’s Day
This is for Those Girls...mmmwhwhaahahaha (evil laugh)

Non-baseball but no less important
Guess who is too old to pull an all-nighter?
Me! Yep, at the ripe old age of 29 (going on 60) I have decided that staying up late and sleeping fitfully for four hours before waking to go to work sucks. Eloquent, eh? Last night my Monday Night Happy Hour Crew (minus R plus two co-workers) went to the Orpheum Theater to see Swell Season. Swell Season consists of Glen Hansard and Marketa Irglova and are the stars of the indi-darling film, Once. These two are joined on tour with a few members of Glen’s band The Frames. Here are some bullet points from the evening:
* Vegan Joe totally “hearts” Marketa.
* The girls in my group (including me) were drooling over the band.
* They played “Pure Imagination” from Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
* The encore lasted nine songs.
* The audience was Minnesota-nice, passive-aggressive responsive. That means there was a lot of clapping for any little thing they said and an occasional shouted out question.
* Glen Hansard is very chatty and a great story teller. He would preface almost every song with a story and/or anecdote.
* We each spent $7 on a Dixie cup of wine to keep our happy-go-lucky buzz going.

So, the moral of this story? You should rent Once, you won’t regret it.
The Frames

American Idol
Upon hearing that Jason Castro was the one booted of American Idol:
Stacy: Oh no! Jen! Oh no! I can’t believe it! Not him!!
Jen: chuckles
Last night (sometime after midnight) Stacy checked to see who was booted off American Idol. I think it is safe to assume she is upset that Jason Castro was eliminated. Hey, don’t get me wrong, I am sad too. Besides being very, very pretty I have always liked the music he sings. I think I have talked her into going to the American Idol concert tour...(even I have a hard time admitting that I want to go.) They will be in Minneapolis at the Target Center on August 31 (tickets go on sale May 17 at noon, in case you are interested.)

MOD
In honor of the amazing show last night I give you the Oscar winning song….
Falling Slowly – Swell Season (from the Once soundtrack)

2 comments:

Ann Harrison said...

(A bit of a story for you)
Love, love, love the soundtrack/movie!
When they came to Portland I was out of town and missed, what I heard, was a great show. My friends shared this...
Glen told a story of getting coffee earlier in the day and a young man (around 19) came up to him with praising words and just wanted to tell him that he would be at the show.
At that point Glen asked if the boy was there. A yell is heard from the back of the 2nd floor balcony, and Glen asks the boy if he would like to come down and sing a song.
Everyone cheers and the young man run down to the stage, fists in the air, screaming with excitement.
Glen asks him what song he would like to sing and this young boy chooses "Brandy (You're A Fine Girl)" by the 1972 band Looking Glass.
Well... o.k. Not exactly what anyone was expecting, but alright.
The band didn't really know the song, but they tried.
A standing ovation followed.
What a great story, huh?

Anonymous said...

Thanks for recommending this movie. If I didn't read your blog, it would never have occured to me to see it. I rented it a couple of months ago, and have been meaning to say thanks for a while. I'm glad you enjoyed their live show.