Monday, April 14, 2008

I never knew just what it was/About this old coffee shop I love so much/All of the while I never knew

Tonight
Unfortunately I will be at back at our usual Monday Night Happy Hour Sushi bar for drinks and eats. I say “unfortunately” because they don’t have a television there so I won’t be able to watch Blackburn take the first game against the Tigers (2-10)

Sunday
I am so glad Amy is a baseball uber-nerd like me. Why? Yesterday we subconsciously planned our lunch outing in order to be home in time to watch the game. I was there at the end of 2006 to watch Liriano, F-Bomb, pitch his last game and I sure the hell wanted to view his first start. Alas, in 2006 there was the hype of the play-offs, skipping work to go to the noon game and knowing all the baseball world was in awe of the F-Bomb (especially with a side of Santana.) He lasted four innings, gave up a few walks but it was only his first Major League start since September 2008. I know the Baseball Powers That Be don’t give a rats-ass about what I think but I will say it anyways… I think it is too soon for Liriano. I wonder if they will keep him in the rotation or send him back down.

Saturday
Ah, Boof, people really love you! Bert loves to “Boooooooof” and the guys from Baseball Tonight like to “BO-of!” I had to tear myself away from The Deadliest Catch marathon on the Discovery channel (see below) but it was well worth it to see a great game.

Extra! Extra!
From La Velle E Neal III’s column in the Star Tribune, regarding the new Twins Stadium:

It’s unfortunate that there’s not a retractable roof on the ballpark, but it should be a great place to watch a game. Just remember, the last row of the upper deck of the new ballpark is equal to where the first row of the Dome’s left field upper deck is. Wow.

Liriano is back but isn’t the way he was in 2006 (Star Tribune)
Mauer, Gomez in helmet-breaking moods (Star Tribune)
Sports Illustrated Game Recap
Mauer given rest on a short turn around (MLB.com)
Kubel forcing Gardenhire’s hand
Liriano uneven in return to Majors

Non-baseball but no less important

TV, CDs and Books – Oh My!
TV
I have another new addiction (yeah, yeah, I guess you could say I have an addictive personality.) I think I watched like six hours of the Deadliest Catch this weekend on the Discovery Channel. It sure makes me realize that my job isn’t that tough.

CDs
It has been a long, long time since I have been anticipating a CD release (as in having it marked in my calendar so I can go right out to buy it.) I am breaking the cycle of indifference! Tomorrow the sophomore album and newest release from The Kooks is hitting the shelves - Konk! I think this would be a good time to check out my neighborhood indie store, the Electric Fetus, to pick up a copy (you know, to support local businesses.) For those of you who care, they will be in concert here on May 31 and yes, I already have my tickets.

Books
What am I reading right now?
28: Stories of AIDS in Africa by Stephanie Nolen – Yeah, this isn’t your light bedtime type of reading as it is very emotional.

AC/DC: Two Sides to Every Glory by Paul Stenning

Twilight by Stephenie Meyer – No laughing! I am re-reading this in order to understand all the hype for the upcoming movie. Yeah, that’s it.

Music of the Day
Another video brought to you by the power of commercials. This one is from a jewelry commercial that played every five minutes during the holiday season. The first few times I listened to this song I really dug-it but after that…eh, well, it got old. Sorry. Hey, you still have nine more times to check it out!

The Commercial Version of Coffee Shop by Landon Pigg


You check out the entire song by clicking here.

1 comment:

James said...

I haven't been able to get into The Kooks, but seeing the name on the screen, I see The Kinks, which is my favoritest band ever and they recorded at a studio they built called Konk Studios

anywho...I like your blog!